This is a great summer salad recipe that works well as a starter or even a light main course. The classic combination of strawberries and beetroot to offset the balsamic dressing and goat’s cheese flavours really works a treat.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
- Baby salad leaves of your choice (rocket works well too)
- 2 circular goat’s cheeses (strength according to personal taste)
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 4 cooked beetroot (small ones)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- Mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a cup until the required balance is right. You want a fairly good amount of sharpness coming from the balsamic. About 1 part olive oil to 3 parts balsamic is a good starting point. Add ground black pepper according to taste.
- Chop the strawberries and beetroot into fork-sized pieces. You can experiment according to preference and presentation. Some people like to dice these quite small, whereas slightly larger pieces are easier to eat.
- Lay out the salad leaves on the plate and dress with a good amount of strawberries and beetroot so there is a rough equal balance between the two. Drizzle the balsamic dressing over the salad.
- Place the two goat’s cheese on an oiled oven tray and pop under the grill on a high heat, until the cheese is browned on top.
- Transfer the whole cheese onto the salad, serve with some chunky bread and eat.