Different and delicious, these beetroot, chocolate and ginger spelt cookies will set your palate alight. Another fabulous recipe from legendary food stylist and caterer Kate Wesson, with mouth-watering photography from Charlotte Tolhurst, the UK’s leading food photographer. Bake these morsels for a classy dinner party treat, or keep them in a tin at home and eat them all yourself! Being selfish and gluttonous has never been so good…
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Serves: makes 15 – 20
1 cup spelt flour
2 tbsp coco powder
1 tsp Ground ginger
1 tsp Baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ cup good quality dark chocolate chunks
2 tbsp butter
½ cup brown sugar
1 small beetroot grated
1 egg and 2 egg whites whisked to fluffy consistency
3 tbsp chopped stem ginger
15- 20 pecans or any nut of your choice
Preheat oven to 177ºC / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4.
– With an electric hand whisk cream together the butter and sugar.
– Combine the spelt, coco powder, ground ginger, baking powder and salt.
– Add the spelt mixture to the creamed sugar, combine throughly.
– Add the egg and egg whites to the mixture. Next add in the grated beetroot, choclolate chunks and chopped stem ginger.
– Spoon 2 tbsp mounds on to a greased baking tray, allowing space between for expantion. Top each cookie with a pecan or some chopped nuts of your choice.
– Bake in the oven for 15 mins or until slightly firm to touch.
Serve, eat, enjoy!