If you’re looking for something a little different to make as an alternative to a Christmas pudding, or a dessert to enjoy over Boxing Day, here’s a simple and very un-slimming concoction you may wish to indulge in; a peanut butter parfait with butterscotch sauce and iced bananas.
200g granulated sugar
10 egg yolks
800ml whipping cream
300g crunchy peanut butter
150g whipping cream
100g 70% chocolate, chopped
300ml whipping cream
170g brown sugar
70g unsalted butter
• Start whisking yolks in mixer until they are white and double in size.
• Meanwhile melt sugar and water together in pan until it reaches 120c.
• Slowly and carefully pour the sugar mix into the yolks while machine is still running.
• Allow to mix on high speed until the mix cools.
• Whisk up cream to medium peaks.
• Incorporate the peanut butter in small quantities into the cream and then fold in the egg mix.
• Freeze in moulds.
• Heat the cream and then add the chocolate and stir until melted.
• Cool a little then pour onto the frozen parfait.
• Freeze overnight.
• Heat the sugar till golden and add carefully the cream avoiding the steam.
• Stir until all dissolved then fold in the butter and a sprinkle of salt.
• Slice 1 banana then sprinkle with a little icing sugar and freeze.
Place a spoonful of sauce onto a plate. Add a slice of the parfait and a few slices of banana and sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Recipe donated by chef Andrew Dargue of Vanilla Black, the high-end vegetarian restaurant at 17- 18 Tooks Court, London EC4A 1LB. Tel: 020 7242 2622. Web: www.vanillablack.co.uk