Back Roads is the new driving guide series from DK Eyewitness Travel. Exploring France, Spain, Italy, Great Britain and Ireland from behind the wheel, each guide allows visitors to unearth the true soul of each country.
How often do we speed along the autoroutes and autostradas that bypass the best of a region, or fly in and out of a single city without exploring the landscapes and cultures that gave birth to them? Discovering a country on back roads and byways allows visitors to slow down and savour the very essence of a place, experiencing breathtaking scenery, historical treasures, local hospitality and regional cuisine along the way.
Each guide features upto 25 leisurely drives, lasting from one to seven days and covering a remarkable variety of landscapes and themes. While some may take in world-famous cities and sights, others get truly off the beaten-track. But whether it’s a 2-day exploration of Umbria’s gourmet villages or a 7-day shore-to-shore drive along the mountain passes of the Pyrenees, every tour is bursting with insider knowledge.
The key features of each Back Roads guide includes:
• ‘Where the locals go’ listings – friendly, intimate hotels, guesthouses and restaurants specialising in authentic regional cuisine.
• A pull-out map of whole country for easy navigation both during and between tours.
• Postcodes to use in conjunction with Sat Nav.
• Practical information such as driving conditions, road signs and parking.
• Clearly mapped itinerary and highlights shown for each drive, as well as the best time of year to go, market days and major festival dates.
• Each tour includes a walk to enjoy en-route, as well as suggestions for additional detours and activities, from sailing and water-rafting to hunting for antiques and wine tasting.
The first five titles in the Back Roads series will all be published on 22nd March 2010, priced £14.99 each.