At www.arbuturian.com we collect different types of information about our users for two main reasons:
- To help us to monitor and improve the services we offer.
- To use anonymous details about our users to sell appropriate advertising space on the site. This might involve showing an advertiser how many users we have on the site; it does not mean sharing an individual’s details with an advertiser. Where we collect registration information from an individual, such as newsletter subscriptions or applications for competitions, we will never share that individual’s information with a third party, including an advertiser, without that user’s explicit permission or unless stated clearly in the promotional text.
Cookies are small text files which a website may put on your computer or mobile device when you first visit a site or page. The cookie will help the website, or another website, to recognise your device the next time you visit. Web beacons or other similar files can also do the same thing. We use the term “cookies” in this policy to refer to all files that collect information in this way.
There are many functions cookies serve. For example, they can help us to analyse how well our website is performing, or even allow us to recommend content we believe will be most relevant to you. Most cookies won’t collect information that identifies you, and will instead collect more general information such as how users arrive at and use our websites, or a user’s general location.
A visit to a page on the Arbuturian’s website may generate the following types of cookie:
Site performance cookies
Anonymous analytics cookies
Third party advertising cookies
Site performance cookies:
We utilise cookies to analyse how our visitors use our website and to monitor website performance. This allows us to provide a high quality experience by customising our offering and quickly identifying and fixing any issues that arise. For example, we might use performance cookies to keep track of which pages are most popular, which method of linking between pages is most effective, and to determine why some pages are receiving error messages.
Anonymous analytics cookies:
Every time someone visits our website, software provided by another organisation generates an ‘anonymous analytics cookie’. These cookies can tell us whether or not you have visited the site before. Your browser will tell us if you have these cookies and, if you don’t, we generate new ones. This allows us to track how many individual users we have, and how often they visit the site.
These cookies are used by software which tries to work out what country you are in from the information supplied by your browser when you click on a web page. This cookie is completely anonymous, and we only use it to help target our content and advertising.
Third party advertising cookies:
Some advertisers use their own anonymous cookies to track how many people have seen a particular ad, or to track how many people have seen it more than once. The companies that generate these cookies have their own privacy policies, and we have no access to read or write these cookies. These organizations may use their cookies to anonymously target advertising to you on other websites, based on your visit to the Arbuturian.
Other third party cookies:
On some pages of our website, other organisations may also set their own anonymous cookies. They do this to track the success of their application, or to customise the application for you. Because of how cookies work, our website cannot access these cookies, nor can the other organisation access the data in cookies we use on our website. For example, when you share an article using a social-media sharing button (for example, Facebook) on the Arbuturian, the social network that has created the button will record that you have done this.
How do I turn cookies off?
It is usually possible to stop your browser accepting cookies, or to stop it accepting cookies from a particular website. All modern browsers allow you to change your cookie settings. You can usually find these settings in the ‘options’ or ‘preferences’ menu of your browser. To understand these settings, the following links may be helpful, or you can use the ‘Help’ option in your browser for more details.
- We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit our Website. These companies may use information (not including your name, address email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. If you would like more information about this practice and to know your choices about not having this information used by these companies, click here.
- We will respect your email privacy. You will not receive unsolicited marketing mail from The Arbuturian or from third parties unless you have agreed to this. We may, however, mail you occasionally with information or queries about your registration or comment postings, for example, with reminders, warnings or copyright requests.
- We will not pass on any individual user details (including your email address) for third party use unless we have your prior consent.
- We will only share anonymous aggregate statistics about our users, sales and traffic patterns with our advertisers.
- Our site is accessible via the Internet and so may potentially be accessed by anyone around the world. Other users may access the site from outside the European Economic Area. This means that, where you choose to post your data on the site, this could be accessed from anywhere around the world and therefore a transfer of your data outside of the European Economic Area may be deemed to have occurred. You consent to such transfer of your data for and by way of this purpose. Where we or our contractors transfer data outside of the European Economic Area this is only ever done with the relevant protections required by law in place.